It’s graduation time! Both college and high school graduates are entering the job market in record numbers at this time of year. Create Your Future Consulting offers the following tips to help new graduates in their job search:
1. While it may be tempting to enjoy some leisure time after all the hard work of studying, don’t wait. Start applying for jobs as soon as possible. Finding the right position can take time.
2. Devote some time each day to your job search. Looking for a job is your job right now, and it’s best to block off time each day to do this work.
3. Make good use of your network of acquaintances, friends, and family. Research shows that the old adage, “it’s who you know” still holds true. Let your network know of your skills and education, along with the types of jobs you are seeking, and ask them to refer you to people in their networks with contacts in your chosen field.
4. Set up alerts on some of the job search websites. You can save time by receiving daily emails notifying you of newly posted jobs that meet your criteria. Some of the better ones are www.indeed.com for all types of jobs, www.snagajob.com for hourly jobs and www.craigslist.com for local listings.
5. Make sure your email address and phone greeting are professional. Email addresses should be some combination of your first and last name or initials, without any other numbers or words.
6. Do an Internet search of your name to see what comes up. You may be surprised at what is out there. Make sure to clean up your social networking sites and posts. Employers do research these to find out more about their candidates.
7. Have a great resume, cover letter and reference document that present you in the best possible light. Create Your Future creates matching documents after meeting and speaking with clients to get a full picture of their strengths and experiences.
Create Your Future Consulting is offering 10% off all gift certificates purchased by June 30. Contact us for details!
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it" - Goethe
"Prudence keeps life safe, but does not often make it happy" - Samuel Johnson
"We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once" - Calvin Coolidge
Create Your Future
Within each of us lies the potential to do great things. For most of us, the right tools are all we need. With them, we can discover the work we were meant to do. My passion is helping others design and create the lives they have only imagined.